Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Wii Church

September 21, 2008

We started our Wiii Church Revolution two weeks ago talking about the very nature of the church. (Remember, the Wii game system was originally called Revolution) Our theme came from the verse found in your bulletin, “Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.” 1 Cor 12:27 The implications, the ramifications, of that proposition, when you really think about it, are enormous. It is more than enormous- it is revolutionary. It will revolutionize who you think you are. It will revolutionize how you see other people. It will revolutionize how you view and experience God. It will revolutionize what you think is your purpose and place in the world.

If you’ve been a Christian your whole life, and if you’ve been a church-goer, or if you are checking out church and Jesus for the first time, the revolution begins when we realize, when we have the epiphany, when our eyes are opened and we finally get that church isn’t a building, or a meeting, or a denomination. It’s you, it’s me, and it’s us together. It’s flesh, and blood, and spirit. It’s you, giving your life to Jesus. It’s me giving my life to Jesus. It’s us living in Jesus, now living spiritually joined together, as one body. To call the church a building is as ridiculous as calling a person a 2x4. The church is organic, alive and growing; and the church is the hope of the world, the eternal, enduring body of Christ.

Last week I wanted to propose a way of being church together. We started with the affirmation that this is being the church. Gathering together in public to worship God by celebrating, sharing, singing, learning together. This has its origins in the OT temple worship, and it was in a public gathering that church was born. We are unapologetic about wanting the world to hear the best news we’ve ever heard, and more so, experienced, that God is love and send his Son so we can know life.

Being the church is something that has implications and ramifications for every single moment of our lives, every single thing we do, every word we say, every hope we hold, and every dream we have. I outlined for us what will be our guiding principles of Connection Groups- our gatherings in homes throughout the city: That we will gather around a common purpose, in a Common Place, and begin to see understand as sharing Common Possessions.

I have to tell you that I was freaked out about preaching that to you. That’s not comfortable Christianity. That’s not safe Faith. That’s not seeker sensitive. That’s Revolutionary. But the thing is, the more I read my bible, the more I study the life of Jesus, and the birth of the church, and the more I pray and ponder my own life, and what I’d like to be, and do, and how I’d even want to be remembered, I keep coming back to the revolution. I keep coming back to a place where I say I may not live up to it, I may be afraid of it, I may even fail at it, but I can’t deny that I long for it. No, I don’t just long for it. I ache for it. I ache for more of Jesus. I ache for a higher spiritual awareness and sensitivity. I ache for deeper community and connection.

I ache for a common purpose with the people around me. That we would come together around the bible, and around this man Jesus Christ, and that we would fall deeper and deeper in love with him, because he is amazing. And more and more I’m learning that outside of Jesus I don’t even know who I am; and the more I am in Jesus, the more power, the more purpose, the more joy, the more freedom, the more direction, the more peace, the more faith, the more hope, the more love I start to feel. Folks, there is no greater purpose in all of creation that we can gather around than Jesus; because Jesus says he is the way, the truth and the life. And the more I’m with him the more I experience he is the way and I don’t want to be lost, he is the truth and I don’t want to live a lie, he is the life and outside of him I am dead.

I ache for a Common Place. I want to call my neighbors by name. I want to know the streets in my neighborhood. I want to a place to call home and a place to belong. A psychologist tells the story of a young man he was counseling. The man came from a deeply religious family, but religious in pretty much every bad sense of the term. His parents divorced when he was young, and inadvertently, just because of their own issues and brokenness, his parents always made him feel that it was his fault that their marriage didn’t work. The young man entered into a string of failed relationships, failed studies, failed careers, and self-destructive behaviors. As the young man reflected on all his life, one of the breakthrough moments came when he said, “I guess I’ve just never had a place to call home.” We are working and praying to create a culture of “home” here. A place where people can belong.

Finally, and clearly most frighteningly, I ache for Common Possessions. Something in me, something in all of us, should look at the inequity of distribution of good in the world, that we would look at our own accumulation of stuff, that we would see how people, far too many people, and so self absorbed in their stuff that they are literally incapable of meaningful human relationships. That all of us would be better off if we loosened our grip on our stuff, and took hold of relationships. And folks, I’m not entirely clear on what all this means. But I do know this, giving people, generous people are happy people. I know rich people who are giving, I know poor people who are giving, and they are all happy. And I know possessive, hording, greedy people are unhappy people. I know greedy rich people who can’t enjoy their stuff. I know greedy poor people who can’t enough their lack of stuff. And in the end, it comes down to this, in the early church the people shared what they so that no one was in need. And I like the sounds of that- no one was in need.

Last week I ended with a plea- don’t rob yourself of the experience of real Christ-centered community. Don’t rob yourself of the opportunity to be around some people from this church, because I’m telling you that you will find people worth dying for here at Connections. I know that because you’ll find people here at connections. The greatest commandment is this: love God and love your neighbor as yourself, then all your neighbors are worth loving. Don’t rob yourself of the blessing of neighbors, and don’t rob others of the opportunity to get to know you and be blessed by you.

I want to pick up there, because I know that is a hard proposition for many. Which is harder for you to believe? That other people are worth being with, or that you are worth being with other people? Now of course I hope, and it would be awesome, if we were all right in the middle. IF we all saw the inherent, God given value and beauty in other people immediately. And, in the same glance, we would see ourselves as made in the image of God, persons of immense worth.

But what I have to suspect, is that there are some folks here who have been burned. You’ve been burned really bad. You’ve been burned really bad. You’ve had the. “George, I can’t tell you what I’ve gone through” things in your life. Some of you were abandoned by your parents. Actually, many of you were, so I’m not even singling any one person out. You were abandoned by a friend in your most needy time. Abandoned by a spouse when they found someone prettier. You have no idea what it’s like to have that experience of a home where trust, where love, where happiness, where laughter is the norm. You have no idea, and it breaks your heart, and it breaks my heart, and it breaks the heart of God, and you have suffered because of it. You have never been sure of other people. And now, as I’m getting all excited about a Wiii church Revolution, and experience of community, of connection, of church, where people are deeply invested into other people, you don’t trust it. You want to, but you can’t. You are, and this is not to be offense, it’s just the way it is, you are relationally retarded. Your relational growth has been stunted. What should be normal and come natural is anything but. The thought of moving from dependence on others, to your own independence, to your willing interdependence with others is a journey your not willing to take.

Some of you are at the other end of the spectrum, maybe because of a similar experience. Now, because you were abandoned, broken, beaten, abused, dissed, devalued, divorced, and distanced, you’ve taken those acts, you’ve taken those projections, and you’ve exchanged the truth of God for those lies. You’ve taken those lies and made them your reality, and now, now you think you have nothing of value to offer anyone. You really think that other people are better than you. You really think that you deserve the crap that people have thrown your way. So when I say don’t rob others of the gift of yourself, ha, that was just in one ear and out the other because you don’t think that you have anything to offer. And you think you are doing other a favor by not burdening them with your problems. Have you ever heard that? Oh, I don’t want to be a burden on anyone. What a cry for help.

I want to take a step back and go the beginning of all this being the church, the body of Christ. When Jesus was about thirty years old, he began his public ministry. Jesus had a cousin named John who many thought to be a prophet, and who in fact was, though he never claimed the title. John was called to prepare the way for Jesus. John started up a ministry along the Jordan River. He had a really good angle that seemed to strike a chord with a lot of people. He told them they were sinners and they needed to repent and be baptized. Jesus came to him to be baptized. John immediately protested, saying he needed to be baptized by Jesus, but Jesus insisted. He stepped into the Jordan River, came out, and immediately all the people heard a voice from heaven say this is my son, whom I love, with him I am well pleased. And they saw the Spirit of God, looking like a dove, come down from heaven, lighting in Jesus. Jesus left from there, experienced his 40-day temptation in the desert, and began his public ministry.

I tell you this, as you need to know this to understand the birth of the church. The book of Acts in the New Testament is short hand for the books of the Acts of the Church. It tells us the story of how the church came to be, it is also synonymously called the books of the acts of the Holy Spirit, because without the Holy Spirit, there is no church.

Acts picks up the story of Jesus where the gospels, MMLJ, leave off. Jesus was crucified, rose from the dead, and began to appear to the disciples over a period of forty days. The final time he appears to them he told them plainly, do not leave Jerusalem but wait until for the gift my Father has promised, which you’ve heard me talk about. And the gift is this- John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit. And when you do, you will receive power, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and Judea, and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth! Then he was taken from them, up into the sky. Are you freaked out yet- you should be.

Ten days later they gathered for worship, because they didn’t really know what else to do. It happened to be the time of an ancient Jewish festival in Jerusalem, so thousands of people were in the city. When the disciples gathered, just as Jesus promised, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and the bible says they began to speak in other languages.

Peter stood up and he preached to them. And he told them all about Jesus. And afterwards the people said what should we do, and Peter said you should believe. You should repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you, and your children, and for all who are far off- for all whom the Lord our God will call. 3000 people believed, and were baptized.

If you are here today, if you have been coming to Connections, listening and learning and hearing these stories of Jesus, then I have great news for you- the promise is for you, and for your children, and for all who are still far off. The promise is for all whom the Lord will call. And if you’re here, and if you can hear me, chances are pretty good, that you are called. If all this talk of a revolution of love resonates with you. If deep down you want to know the purpose of loving and living for Jesus. If you long for a place to belong. If you long to share your gifts with the world to make a difference, then there is one very clear next step that you need to take according to the bible-

Be baptized. The bible tells us that when belief begins to well up inside of us it is because we have been baptized by the Holy Spirit. Belief itself, faith itself, is a gift of God. It happens when his Spirit comes to us and calls to us, and in response we callout to Jesus.

Many of you have called out to Jesus in recent weeks. We think that this is the most awesome thing in the world. It is what we are about. And for those that have called out to Jesus the bible is very clear on what we should do next- be baptized. It is the outward expression of the inward reality that has changed out lives. Because we have been washed over by the Holy Spirit, we take a stand, and we tell the world, and we visually, publicly, openly enact what has happened.

Jesus commanded this. He told his followers all authority in heaven and in earth has been give to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Today I invite you, as we always do here at Connections, to call out to Jesus, to say Jesus, I believe, I can’t save myself, I’m sorry for my mistakes, take me, cleanse me, make me yours.

And for everyone who has called out to Jesus, or who is calling out right now, next week we want to baptize you. I have one guy lined up who wants to be baptized. But you don’t have to be lined up. You can simply come, and be baptized. The only prerequisite in the bible is belief, and water. When Peter preached at the birth of the church, when people were baptized with the Holy Spirit, 3000 people were spontaneously baptized. Because they were gathered in the temple it is very likely that what they did was to have people come to the fountain of ritual cleansing, which was the center piece of the temple courtyard, and the people would have had water poured over them to symbolize, to visual, to tangibly play out what happened in their souls, the cleansing of God.

When Philip shared the good new of Jesus with an Ethiopian Eunuch (someday I’m going to do a series on eunuchs in the bible), he believed, and was baptized. When Paul was in prison, and there was an earthquake, and when Paul and the believers didn’t escape, and the jailer was so astounded that he believed, the bible says that that very night, at midnight, he and his whole family were baptized.

And so we want to baptize everyone who wants to take this stand, make this profession, and honor what god has commanded. I don’t know if we’ll always do it the way we’re doing it next week, but we felt it was time to take this step. I meet with the mall to ask if we could use the fountain in the middle of the mall…and the said no. I still have a week- I’m gonna try one last time to change their minds. If they don’t, then I trust that this simple isn’t God’s plan.

What we are going to do is embrace the longest standing tradition in the Christian church- that is to offer in worship, on Sunday, the chance for you and your household to be baptized. If you are an adult who has not been baptized, you are invited to step forward and affirm two things- your repentance. And your turning to Jesus as your Lord. We will have a little pool here, you can take off your shoes, roll up your pants, or wear shorts, we will have towels here, we will drape it over your shoulders, you will bow your head in humility before God, and symbolically as you lay your life before him. I will pour water over your head to symbolize the forgiveness of sins by your heavenly Father, the washing away of your old life in Jesus Christ, and the filling of the Holy Spirit in new birth. You will stand up, and we will applaud and celebrate your life in God.

Likewise, if you are a household of faith, if you have a child whom you wish to know and love and live for the Lord, we will baptize your baby. If you are just not sure of the whole baptizing babies thing, we will likewise be equally honored to dedicate your child to the Lord. This is area where good Christian people come from different traditions, and we are happy to honor both traditions, as don’t see either as a doctrine to die for, and as long as you are happy to be a part of a church that is inclusive of both traditions.

And finally, we will offer baptism for anyone who wishes to publicly dedicate your life to Jesus. If you were baptized as a child, or if you have recently had re-birth kind of experience, we will do what is called affirming your baptism vows. If you are reaffirming your baptism we ask you the same things- that you once again turn from sin and turn to Jesus. And I even go this far, if you were baptized as an infant, and have no memory of it, I ask that you prayerfully consider that next week you will, for yourself, and to honor the promise that your parents claimed for you, experience the affirmation of your baptismal vows.

We only ask that everyone embraces and understands two things- first, baptism doesn’t save your soul. God does. Baptism won’t save your soul, or your baby’s soul. But then two, that for adults this enacts the baptism you have embraced in the Holy Spirit through belief, or the promise you claim for your household. That’s what Peter said on the day the first believers were baptized- this promise is for you, your children and for all whom the Lord will call.

Folks, this really is simple, and it really doesn’t save your soul, but it really is beautiful, and it really is biblical, and it really doesn’t have to be controversial. If you are an adult, claim the promise, and be baptized. If you have children, claim the promise and baptize them. If you come out of a tradition that does not baptize infants, then please dedicate your children to God, because Jesus did bless the children that were brought before him. And if you have never claimed that baptism for yourself, claim that promise for yourself, and affirm the vows. This is the greatest way to honor your baptism as an infant,

If you know you will participate in this next week, please let us know so we can prepare. And also next week, we will for the first time celebrate Communion. It’s going to be amazing. It’s going to rock your world, and it’s how we are going to cap off our Wiii Church series- by celebrating baptism, birth into the church, and celebrating communion, the feast of our Lord Jesus to nourish, sustain and empower all who call on him. It really is going to be life changing!

No comments: